Sycamore Class had great fun learning about the Christingle and creating their own Christingle. The children learnt that the Christingles are made from an orange decorated with red tape, sweets and a candle.
- The orange represents the world.
- The red tape goes around the world and symbolises the love and blood of Jesus.
- The candle reminds us of Jesus who is light of the world.
- The four cocktail sticks have two meanings; the four seasons or the four corners of the world.
- The sweets/dried fruit remind Christians of God's gifts to the world and his creations.
The children enjoyed the morning and reflected upon our school values. Sycamore Class thought carefully about how we live by these values day by day and shared how they will share light with others in the community.
In addition to this, Sycamore Class looked carefully at the following passages:
- ‘You are the light of the world… No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house.’ Matthew 5.14-15
- ‘The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.’ John 1.5
- ‘Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ John 8.12
Each group came up with actions to go with the verses. Please look at the photographs of the exciting morning.